Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Job of a Service Dog

The job of a service dog involves more than most would think. When the dogs start Team Training is dog is complete with approximately 45 commands, this is all part of their standard package of features. These commands include the basic such as "down," "sit," "here," "release" and the one that Nin hears so much of, "don't". Then there are the advanced commands which include, "get," "push," "tug," "hold" and "bed". All are integral in Nin's daily life. The sequence of commands allow her to pick up all of the things that I drop, and I drop a lot of things, close and open doors, get things off of counters and turn on and off lights. "Cool," I bet your thinking and most of the time it is but sometimes when there is food on the counter or a door she wants closed Little Miss Nin commands herself to get what she wants. Those are the days that you begin to questions why you did not get a dumber dog! 

Doing commands is not all that Nin is required to do. Having a service dog breaks down barriers between me and other people. Not everyone is comfortable being around a person with a disability but most people cannot resist a cute and well behaved dog. It is great sometime to be able to talk to people and be a proud Mama that brags about my dog but if I am in a hurry it can be a bit tiresome. Those are the days that I want to just say, as soon as someone approaches me, "She is a Black Lab. 3 years old, Her name is Nin, I have no idea why. And yes she is beautiful. Now go away!" But I don't for the sake of politeness and the reputation of CCI. Steeler use to have business cards to hand out for those occasions with all of his details, I really need to work on those for Nin.

 All this being said, the most important thing that Nin does for me is provide companionship. I am by nature a very social person but even though I have a lot of friends and a career, that I love, the reality is that living with a disability can be a very lonely existence. People keep you at arms length. After all, I can't just hop in my friends car and go out for the day. I can't just go to any bar or club. There are always has to be questions like, "Is it accessible?" or "How are the bathrooms?" These are questions the general population just does not have to ask. It has taken a long time for me to separate people desires to be with me and my disability, unfortunately in reality, they cannot be separated. Which leads to lots of nights and weekends spent alone. Nin's main job, along with her predecessors, have been to keep me company to be my friend and a constant steadfast companion, which she does happily. With her I am never alone but most importantly, I never feel lonely.

4 comments:

  1. Do they have service cats? I know there are service miniature horses but what about cats, they are good at jumping....and you could get a small throne like looking seat to saddle up on NIN for 'le puss' to ride on.....just saying....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Krista, it is thoughtful and well written. You do make a difference with your patience, I added CCI as one of the charities I will donate to specifically because of you and Ivan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris - ugh! No cats!

    Dawn - Thanks that means so much!

    ReplyDelete