Thursday, November 22, 2012

Nin, the Elephant!!




For the last two years at work we have conducted a summer camp for teens with intellectual disabilities.  The purpose of the camp is to take a group of 20 high school aged kids, expose them to the Smithsonian Museums.  The kids pick a topic from the museum research it, take pictures and in the end make a film about their experience and their topic.  I am lucky enough to be one of the people who coordinate this camp.  I work with a great team of staff, educators, and volunteers who make this possible.  We call it the “Good Egg” camp, because everyone if draws into it’s circle is a gem. 

The kids are no exception (now in the interest of full disclosure, I am the one that selects the participants).  Each year we have had the best; most interesting and entertaining teens participate.  I know I learn more from them then we teach them.  I call these kids the “funny kids.” Not a slight on their disability but rather because I spend two weeks laughing and having the best time, they are genuinely funny!

As much as I love this camp and the time spent there I understand that this “camp joy” is not experienced by little Miss Nin.  I know that the amount of crumbs that she gets to Hoover is a plus but if it is possible for a Labrador to have too much attention, this is that time.  The camp is the breaking point for all her frustration, which she expresses to me through her grumbling and evil looks, all directed at me, of course. 

This year’s camp we had a camper that always wanted to walk her.  So, I would let him take her leash and walk her around the computer lab.  On lap five is when Nin begins the first signs of protest, when she walks towards me and glares.

“Nope, keep going,” I tell her

Lap 7, a very quiet low pitch, “grrr,” comes out of her mouth.  I giggle, “Keep going!”  At about lap 10 she ducks under a table and lays down.  Ok she has had enough.  She surfaces at lunch for her Hoover imitation but is quickly bombarded with hands all over her until she comes running back to me and under the table she goes.  This was the daily ritual. 

Now, the students all have to make a movie and on this particular day they had to search the Internet for 5 facts about their movie topics. I was speaking with one of the campers (the one that walks Nin on her laps) and I ask him what he is doing his movie on. This is our conversation.

“Elephants,” he replies.

“Ok what are your facts? What is unique about elephants?”  I ask.

“They are big, they have big ears, a long nose and a tail.” He replies

“Ok, look at Nin she is big, has big ears a long nose and a tail…so she is an elephant.” I say.

“NO!  She is a dog!” 

“Why is she a dog?” I ask

“Because she is!”  He says.

“But if what makes an elephant an elephant is big ears, a long nose and a tail, and Nin has all of those things then she must be an elephant!”  I respond in an attempt for him to take this thinking to the next level, utilize his five facts to tell me why elephants are unique, but to no avail.

“No!  She is a dog!”  He is raising his voice now.  This conversation goes on for about 5 more minutes until he exclaims…

“FINE! SHE IS AN ELEPHANT!” and he walks away.  I laugh!

Now Nin is referred to as elephant!  

1 comment: